Monday, April 27, 2009

Rain, Rain

Man, what a mess of a morning. Thunder, lightening, rain, rain, rain. My dogs having a conniption fit, lost power three times trying to get ready. Had to be at an Honors breakfast for my daughter at 7:30 a.m., and of course, she wasn't ready. And dogs underfoot, freaking out every time it lightninged or thundered. Trying to put makeup on in the dark--hope to the Lord I have my clothes on right-side out.

I know I should be grateful for the rain--we need it. But I really hate it. When I was a kid, rain meant my father couldn't work, and he was pretty grouchy about that. Rain makes ease of movement difficult. It makes drivers who on a normal day are marginal, idiots. It makes cute puppy paws monstrous mud clods. It makes my kitchen floor that I have to continuously clean anyway because of the dogs, one big mud slide. It makes my 100 year-old house shift in ways I never dreamed possible--it's always a surprise which door will open and which one won't. And if I lose power, it makes my garage door opener a lead weight, which I have to open manually, which is just one more inconvenience.......Blah, blah, blah.

Sounds pretty trivial, I know. But sometimes you just have to vent.

I watch people dealing with the rain as they wait for buses, walk to where they have to be, herd children to school on foot, carry groceries home with no umbrella, search for a dry place to wait it out. Then I feel really bad about being so gripy about rain. Life is a real struggle for them every day, not just when it rains. When I think of our young mothers having to get up at 6:00 a.m., get their kids ready, get them to daycare, and then ride public transportation to their job or school--in the rain and thunder and lightening--that will tend to shut me up.

I really have nothing to gripe about. But you know, sometimes you just have to vent.....

Rain, rain go away. Come again some other day---when I can hide under my covers and wait it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment