Friday, May 15, 2009

Friday Fancy

Sometimes I think I should make my blog fancier. You know, all the pictures, links, bells and whistles that other blogs have. I have no idea how to do any of that. But then I got to thinking. Why do I love reading so much? Because you have to use your mind's eye to visualize characters, places, motives. You have to imagine what a castle looks like or how the Secret Garden looks. That's why a great book can never really be a great movie. Movies just don't cut it like your imagination does.

These days, we don't have to think much, or use our imagination. Everything is so RIGHT IN OUR FACE. Pictures, videos, text, Twitter, Facebook, 24-hour news (ugh!). You don't have to wonder how someone looks or conjure up the motives and passions of characters in a story. It's all there ALL the time.

So, maybe it's ok with me that you actually have to read and think and conjure up images and imagine if you're going to read this blog.

So today I'd like you to imagine. I'd like you to read something instead of watching something. I'd like you to sit and ponder the fate of the world instead of listening to 24-hour CNN with banners running on both the top and the bottom, cause Lord knows having someone talking isn't enough!

See if you can go an evening without texting, without checking your email, Facebook, or whatever else you're hooked up to, or hooked on. And read a book--not on a Kindle--but a real paper book. Let yourself get lost.

You might be surprised at what you find!

No comments:

Post a Comment