Friday, September 11, 2009

We're Number One!!

A new Number One headline in the Dallas Morning News today for Texas. So now we are not only Number One in repeat teen pregnancies, but we are also Number One in the rate of uninsured persons. Wow! Let's give each other a High Five! We're Number One, We're Number One!!!

Oh, and on the other end of the spectrum, Texas repeatedly ranks 47th or 48th in the dollars spent on mental health services for our most vulnerable citizens. If we were playing golf, we'd surely win for lowest score! But we are not. These are peoples' lives we are playing with.

What is wrong with our legislators that they can look at this data year after year and do little to nothing to improve the health and well-being of our citizens?

I'm embarrassed by these headlines. I'm embarrassed that the people of this state don't care enough about these issues to rise up and demand change. I'm embarrassed what these headlines do to Texas' reputation.

With these headlines, it becomes harder and harder to justify to my out-of-state friends why I love my state and why I continue to live here.

Am I the only one??

No comments:

Post a Comment